A new Public Policy Polling survey has just been released, showing that while the six major, potential Republican challengers for Florida’s Senate seat trail incumbent Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson, the most promising candidate is Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales.
Jimmy Wales is, by far, the freshest political name for Florida voters. Only 17% have formed an opinion of Wales as a political candidate, leaving 83% of Floridian voters still available for Wales to win over. Wales, who is still relatively unknown as a political quantity, only trails Nelson by a margin in the teens, the same as his Republican opponents.
- 23% have already formed an opinion of state Rep. Adam Hasner.
- 31% have already formed an opinion of former Sen. George LeMieux.
- 32% have already formed an opinion of state Sen. Mike Haridopolos.
- 35% have already formed an opinion of television host Joe Scarborough.
- 43% have already formed an opinion of Rep. Connie Mack IV
Jimmy Wales greatly outpolls his political ID, implying that once all these candidates are on an equal footing as far as ID goes, Jimmy Wales is the most electable.
Here’s how the candidates stack up against one another:
- Wales outpolls his ID by 11%.
- Hasner outpolls his ID by 9%.
- LeMieux outpolls his ID by 2%.
- Haridopolos outpolls his ID by 2%.
- Scarborough underpolls his ID, -3%.
- Mack underpolls his ID, -9%.
This poll shows that a Republican nominee Wales would certainly have the best odds in a general election matchup when the candidates’ political name recognition has saturated all voters.